RANSOMWARE: KNOW YOUR ENEMY, KNOW THE FACTS.
The recent news of the cyber-attacks on NHS hospitals across the country highlights the fact that cyber attackers are becoming more creative and are turning their attention from attacks against private users to targeted attacks against businesses. The cyber-attack caused disruption in 150 countries. In the UK NHS Hospitals, pharmacies and GP surgeries were the worst affected and some NHS Trusts are still dealing with the problems it has caused today.
To resist ransomware, you need to stay one step ahead of the cybercriminals and prepare in advance. Follow the below steps to protect your business:
- Conduct proper and timely backup of your data so it can be used to restore original files after a data loss event
- Use a security solutions with behavior based detection technologies. These technologies can catch malware, including ransomware by watching how it operates on the attacked system and making It possible to detect fresh and yet unknown samples of ransomware
- Visit the “No More Ransom” website a joint initiative with the goal to help victims of ransomware retrieve their encrypted data without having to pay the criminals
- Audit installed software, not only on endpoints, but also on all nodes and servers in the network and keep it updated
- Conduct a security assessment of the control network (i.e. a security audit, penetration testing, gap analysis) to identify and remove any security loopholes. Review external vendor and 3rd party security policies in case they have direct access to the control network
- Request external intelligence: intelligence from reputable vendors helps organizations to predict future attacks on the company
- Educate your employees, paying special attention to operational and engineering staff and their awareness of recent threats and attacks
- Provide protection inside and outside the perimeter. A proper security strategy must devote significant resources to attack detection and response in order to block an attack before it reaches critically important objects
If you don’t currently have protection you can download this free Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware tool for Business.